Re: Need! perspective favorites- elementary

---------

From: linda (lwoods_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 06:50:12 PST

I have taught three point perspective to my fifth graders...aerial views
of cities with something STRANGE and relatively large flying in the
sky...pteradactyls, flying pigs, bats, superheroes, etc. We drew the
creatures first, using as much realism as possible...I love to let them
look at the Dover book of 1900 engravings, all copyright free, for anatomy
issues. I have 20 of them! Then they draw the tops of their buildings,
then connect to the vanishing point at the bottom...off center or off the
page. OF course, there is more to it than that...teaching them how to do
windows and balconies from an aerial view, steps, doorframes, and so on.
But they love it. It takes a long time, and I have to look at them every
night and make comments...quite time consuming. But in the end, we have
some incredible pictures. Our other art teacher teaches one and two point
perspective in fourth grade. SImple stuff. I teach visual perspective
(drawing on the right side of the brain) to second and third graders.
Second graders draw houses from observation, third graders draw the
classroom or the school from observation, using sight angles with a
pencil, comparing angles to horizontal, vertical orientation of the paper
or a viewfinder, etc. Look at Drawing on the Right Side of the brain for
this.

---