a clay question

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 04:23:07 PST

A teacher at another school asked me this question and I told her I
would go to the experts.
    "I'm getting ready to make some fish with my 5th graders with clay.
Do you think it would hurt
the kiln to fire it with newspaper in the clay? I'm going to try to
make some fish and we need
to newspaper to help it stay more round when it is drying and trying to
get the newpaper out of
it when the clay is not bisque will be risky. What are your thoughts?"
    You could answer to my school
             jholling@anderson4.k12.sc.us so I could tell her
whether she would burning up her kiln. I remember people talking about
wrapping pieces of clay in newspaper when making rattles but I don't
know how much newspaper might be too much. Thanks for any expert
advice!!
            Jeryl in SC

---