Re: words are not just words

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 03:30:27 PST

Kathleen Shilson wrote:
> Jayna said
> it best- "You know, kids are going to use these words no matter
> what you say. Adults use them too"- "I don't think
> it is worth it to make a big deal about it."

I'll continue to make a big enough deal about it. I tell my students
that they are just words and they may continue to use them at
home in front of their mothers. But, not in public and especially
not in my classroom, I don't use these words that hurt and I'm
not going to allow students to either. Kids know well what Gay,
Fag and Queer mean. It's the new "Nigger" in our culture. We
all share responsibility when someone beats a young man to death in
Wyoming because we helped create the climate that allowed it to
happen. "Adults use them too" is no excuse. I don't use these words
that perpetuate hate and I correct adults in public who use hate
speech as well. If the world is to change, then we each need to
do our small part to make it a more civil place to raise our children.
                                                        IMHO, Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com