Re: Gay facts quiz answers

---------

From: Justin Kramer (justkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 23:46:28 PST

on 19/3/02 8:59 AM, Trish Gorman at TrishGorman@msn.com wrote:

Here¹s the answers. (Sorry for the squish‹I¹m trying not to get bounced for
too big a message.)

Can the last 7 facts be surprising when one¹s sexual orientation is used as
one of the most widespread put-downs today? This is why it¹s important to
intervene why one hears ³That¹s so gay.² Words do matter.

                        Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender Youth Facts

1. B. Current research has led scientist to believe sexual orientation is
something people are born

     with, like eye color.

2. C. 6-8% percentage of the high school population is G/L/B/T.

3. A. Gay male adolescents report feeling ³different² from their peers
around 5-7 years of age.

4. A. One in four 12 year-olds is unsure of their sexual orientation.

5. C. 97% of students in public high school report hearing anti-homosexual
remarks from their

     peers.

6. C. 53% of students in public high school report hearing anti-homosexual
remarks from staff.

7. C. 80% of gay and lesbian youth report severe social isolation.

8. C. 80% of perspective teachers report having negative attitudes toward
gay and lesbian people.

9. C. 85% of perspective teachers oppose integrating gay/lesbian themes
into their curricula.

      Nationally, 51% of parents want ³positive information² about G/L
included in M&HS

      curriculum; only 5% ³strongly oppose² this.

10. C. 22% of homosexuals report suffering physical violence at the hands
of family members because of their sexual orientation.

11. C. 42% of homeless youth self-identify as gay or lesbian. This is
almost half of the homeless youth population.

12. C. G/L/B/T students are 5 times more likely to miss school due to
feeling unsafe than the

       general high school population.

13. C. The rate at which sexually active high school students were involved
with creating a

      pregnancy is 15%; for G/L/B students the rate is 37%. This is often
done in an attempt to

     ³prove² heterosexuality, deflect harassment/abuse, gain some measure of
approval/affection.

14. C. The drug abuse rate for G/L/B/T students is more than 200 % higher
that of the general high

       school population; 900x¹s higher for intravenous drug use. As with
all substance abuse,

       this is usually an attempt to anesthetize themselves from the pain of
their daily existence.

15. C. The rate among the general high school population is 9%; for G/L/B/T
students the attempted

      suicide rate is 46%. Altho less than 10% of the youth population,
they comprise 30% of

      completed youth suicides. This is one suicide every 5hr 45 minutes.

Trish,

Thanks for sharing your reserach. If it is okay with you I would very much
like to share it with the staff at my school. In the near we will be having
a G/B/L/T panel to speak with about SSAY issues. Last year I had some hairy
issues that arose in my senior art class - issues I'm sure that would not
enter into a primary school.

If you have any other material that you would like to share I would be
appreciative.

Thanks

Justin in the tropics

---