Re: Gay facts quiz answers

---------

From: Trish Gorman (TrishGorman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 18:30:58 PST

Wendy-
Thank you for your comments.
Reading the "gay" posts has made me recognize more things about my own language. I know I said "sucks" today; "tight" is not one I've heard at my school--or simply not noticed before now. There have been a few other new ones I've learned now.
Where I grew up in the 60's and 70's we used the word "faggot" for "loser." When I moved to Mass. people would say "You mean homosexual?!" Faggot never meant 'gay' to us as kids--but I'm sure the it didn't seem that way to the gay (or uncertain) kids.
I still hear adults--teachers--say things like "Jew 'em down", "Call a spade a spade" & "black sheep of the family" (I said that one to an Afro-American man once--geez!) with no awareness of what they are actually referring to.
I am very thankful when someone--kindly--points out to me the meaning behind common slang that is actually derogatory. I think about all the people I insulted without even being conscious of it--but I'm sure they heard it loud and clear.
Here's two other quotes I keep close to heart, esp. now that I'm 'back' in school:
Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Weisel
As a general rule, teachers teach more by what they are than by what they say. Unknown
Trish