Re: Gay facts quiz answers

---------

From: wendy free (wendfree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 15:37:38 PST

thank you so much, trish! i think your post is one of the most important and informative we've had in a while. this pretty much says it all: “Do you believe that all students are deserving of dignity and respect at school?”

i can't imagine tolerating any type of language in our classroom that is hurtful to others. reading through some of the posts i am a little surprised at the acceptance by some of what i consider to be foul language. i think i am pretty clear on where the terms "suck" and "tight" come from; they are of crude and vulgar origin - i find the latter, as a women, particularly offensive. it is hard for me to understand what good can come of promoting/accepting that type of language in the classroom. as a longtime high school teacher i have found that clear, consistent standards of decency and respect are pretty easily enforced in the classroom. if you as a teacher model the behavior you expect and are open and sincere with students about why it is important, they seem to be very willing to comply. and hey, we are art teachers. a big part of art, for me, has to do with creating and exploring beauty. granted, there are negative things and we need words to describe them, but condoning gutter language in the art room is a contradiction to my directive!

wendy free

---