Re: 1st Conference Proposal

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 12:45:22 PST

Donald Peters wrote:

> I'm working on my very 1st conference presentation proposal for next year's
> State conference and I have a couple of questions for you conference pros
> out there....
>
> 1) I'm considering a presentation on mask-making. Is there a need for this?
> or is it already over done?
>
> My ideas are:
> crepe-paper coil masks (Native American)
> magazine mosaic masks (Central American)
> tasty texture masks (African)

Donald,

Yes, there are a lot of mask workshops, but your ideas sound different
from other peoples'. You should make it clear in your proposal that
these masks refer to specific mask types; the multi-culti angle usually
works in your favor. Also, make reference to the interdisciplinary
nature of the masks.

> which brings me to my second question...
>
> 2) For a 1:45 minute hands on workshop is this too much? too little?

It does sound like a lot. I've done two-hour workshops at NAEA and the
time just flies by. Definitely prepare a comprehensive handout
explaining something about each culture and what part the mask plays in
that culture, so the teachers can refer to it later rather than spend
valuable workshop time on it.

One piece of unsolicited advice: _which_ Indian tribe, _which_ Central
American tribe or country, and _which_ African tribe are you studying?
Make a distinction; they're not all the same.

Maggie

---