Re: Bad language in art- UPDATE

---------

From: Stephen Wood (steve_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 11:51:26 PST

First of all I would like to thank you all for your views both on and off
list. I found the majority of the replies extreemly helpful. Those I did not
tend to agree with I still found interesting, in the way that it highlighted
the cultural differences between schools in the States and those here in the
U.K. (the closest kids get to a visit to the child pshycologist in the
schools I go to, is a quick chat with the nurse and a "band aid").

There has been very little in the way of fall out, mainly because I took
your advise and contacted the parents and the headmistress A.S.A.P. Things
are never what they seem. Apparently there is a lot of history between the
two boys involved, mainly that one leads the other on and they are kept
apart as much as possible during the school day (now you tell me).

It's difficult to say what I have learned from this experience. I suppose in
a nut shell to be more careful. To not allow work of this sort out of the
classroom and to seek a senior member of staff the moment such episodes
arrise.

I thought about getting the two boys to re-do the work and confront the bad
language issue again using facial expressions etc, but once bitten twice
shy.

Thanks for your support. I'm getting there:-)

Steve
U.K.

---