Re: Curious about the state of other States?

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (HOPKIAAR_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 11:47:50 PST

Larry,
I teach in Maryland and have taught for 10 years here. The one thing
that keeps us art teachers in a job is the state legislature...one
county in Md. tried to eliminate all art and music in favor of more
reading programs and the state stopped them. Our state budget is not
exactly growing but things aren't as depressing as it sounds out
there...we haven't laid off any teachers at all.
aaron

>>> lseiler@laona.k12.wi.us 03/17/02 10:16AM >>>
Since September 11th...Wisconsin government and regional news has spoke
of hardly anything else except budget shortfalls, cut backs...local
governments picking up slack, etc., Quite a few school districts have
been laying off teaching staff, ten here...12 there, etc;

Looking ahead and contemplating with simple reason, I would guess
education is going to be going through some major overhauling. The
University of Wisconsin systems are only allowing 25 to 30 students at
the most enter education at their individual campuses each year. When
the boomer retirement hits big in several years...there is going to be a
major shortfall of available staff. Perhaps that will be quite the open
market...though some are predicting that technology might step forward
with more virtual/interactive learning made necessary.

This is my tenuring year, and as contracts and notices go...I'm back
again next year. My wife and I patiently waited to begin the process of
looking for a house of our own until after this year. However, living
in a small rural logging community in NE Wisconsin...I'm now beginning
to wonder if its smart to buy a house. On one hand with less to lose,
(not owning a house), I might be making myself more a target to be let
go simply whereas other teachers indebt with a mortgage might get more
consideration/empathy. Then, of course...there's still the likelihood
that because we teach a nonacademic
that has no supposed legitimacy with state and federal testings of
students...I could be cut or cut to part time anyway. We have funding
for next year, but the superintendent is predicting the year following
is up in the air with some cuts likely.

Just curious though...what the climate, temperment...social conditions
are for art teachers throughout the country with all that's going on?
Budget shortfalls, cuts... How many are concerned about possible
lay-off's, etc.,???

Larry

---
leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu