Re: The word "Gay"

---------

From: Justin Kramer (justkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 03:46:21 PST

This has been an interesting topic of discussion. I was under the impression
that this wasn't a world issue but from the replies to this , it has been
indicated that it might be. I have experienced similar problems here in
Australia were students use the word "gay" as a subsitute for the word
"bad", ie. I don't like that, its gay.

I must confess that I use a range of strategies from, "I haven't sent that
in the mardi gras" to a total guilt trip on the re-occuring teenager about
teen gay suicide and poor self image. This second appears to have greater
impact and leaves an impression on the individual why labelling everything
they don't like as gay might be affecting the self-image of others around
them.

My school has become very proactive on this issue with anti-homophic
professional development seminars for the staff and a whole poster campaign
around the school with messages such as "its within the rules to be gay",
etc.

Justin in the tropics

<http://g.msn.com/1HM301601/13>