Re: using airbrush in the classroom

---------

From: Stäcy & Paul (themuralists_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 20:40:21 PST

I have to disagree with you Leo. I have been airbrushing since I was a
sophomore in high school. (7 years.) It isn't really that complicated, and
they aren't that expensive. I have a younger sister who I taught to work
it. NOw granted she's 12 years my junior, but she picked it up fine. But
remember with elementary students you aren't going for a hood ornament,
except in very VERY special cases. So long as the children use a dust mask
in a well ventilated area they should be just fine, provided you use water
based paint. An airbrush is a versatile piece of equipment, there is so much
one can accomplish with it, I don't think it should be left out a child's
learning experience simply because it isn't considered a "Traditional"
material. ALso, I seriously doubt that these kids will be exposed to any
"airborne pigments" for more than an hour.

Oh, before I forget. another tip: BABY WIPES!!!! They get airbrushed paint
off little hands and nails easily.