Re: Ideas for tea ceremony

---------

From: Doris Wilbur (wilburd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 20:16:00 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marian Colman" <Colmans1@cape.com>
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2002 7:26 AM
Subject: Ideas for tea ceremony

> My high school Clay I class has made pinch pot Japanese style tea bowls.
> want to have a tea ceremony that somewhat embodies the spirit of the
> traditional tea ceremony. Has anyone done this? If so, what ideas do you
> have for making this more than just drinking tea out of the bowls and
having
> a snack to go along with it?
> Marian
>
>I do a Japanese unit with my elementary. We do Japanese scroll - brush
painting of bamboo and learn some of the brush strokes plus they get to see
and try inkstone and my bamboo brushes. One is selected from each class to
hang for our tea ceremony. They also learn simple origami. Another project
they do is gyotaku or fish prints. You can buy the rubber ones, but my
students make theirs out of cut styrofoam trays and glue them to cardboard
for printing with waterbase ink. The day of our tea ceremony I set up a
cardboard "doorway" and put plants all around it, I explain that the tea
house is usually in a garden as nature is very important. They all must
stoop to go through the doorway, this makes everyone equal. Oh, I forgot
they also have to take off their shoes, they love that part. Then we proceed
further into room to the table area I have set up. (We can't sit on floor.)
We admire scroll and talk about its meaning and use. I have pictures up of a
tea ceremony and show them ladies in kimonos serving tea. We discuss purpose
of tea house and ceremony. How peaceful and grounding it is. How respectful
we all are and we are leaving the troubles of the world outside the doorway.
How everything in the ceremony has meaning. We admire teabowl designs. We
admire simplicity of flower arrangement in middle of table. We bow and are
very polite to each other. We drink apple juice tea and have "sushi" fish
crackers. When we leave "teahouse" we go back out doorway again, bowing to
our hostess and get a small sweet to leave with. I love doing this with the
students and they really look forward to it. Hope this helps some. Doris