Re: Words kids use/bad language

---------

From: Stäcy & Paul (themuralists_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 20:16:24 PST

I'm sorry, I gotta say this. I think way too much emphasis is placed on the
word instead of the intent. To just ban a word simply becuase it causes you
offense doesn't cut it with me. If you sit down with the child and explain
to them that using that word imporperly is unacceptable you may actually
reverse the misuse of that word. Especially "Gay". I don't see how being
"happy" relates to homosexuality, are we to assume that all homosexuals are
happy? I don't think so. But to me just to say a word can't be used becuase
you find it offensive is rediculous to a child. If nothing else it furthers
the misuse. Explain to them why the word should not be used in a derrogatory
nature. Of course the one phrase that my parents used on me, that always
worked when I misused words through intent such as a female dog or other
explicative was... "People who cuss simply have nothing better to say." Or
"surely you possess a better word in your vocabulary to describe how you
feel about (fill in the blank)." If we taught our kids that it was beneath
them to talk in such a way, a child would be embarrassed if an expliclative
slipped through his teeth.
BECOME A POTTY MOUTH SNOB!lol.
Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.