Re: Curious about other states... long reply soap box

---------

From: Patty Phillips (plphillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 18:04:46 PST

Here in Kentucky, we have high stakes testing. Students are tested in arts
and humanities, but it counts for little of the overall score a school
receives. Students are required to take an arts and humanities class in
both middle and high school. The kicker is studio classes don't count as an
arts and humanities credit. My classes are electives only. Luckily, my
principal is wonderfully supportive of the arts. I'm the only art teacher
in the building until I build the program. He's counting on the necessity
of hiring another art teacher in the future. So, the picture isn't dim all
over. I feel that I've found a bright spot!!

patty