Re: THE IMPORTANCE OF THE ARTS

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 13:33:46 PST

LEO DAVINCE wrote:

><snip>
> My question is do any of you out there in Artsednet
> land have anything that you have used to support your
> programs or have any internet sites, quotes, archives,
> journals, articles that I can referenece

Vivian posted this a while back...

DID YOU KNOW?

Young people who participate in the arts for at least
three hours on three days each week through at least
one full year are:

4 times more likely to be recognized for academic
achievement

3 times more likely to be elected to class office
within their schools

4 times more likely to participate in a math and
science fair

3 times more likely to win an award for school
attendance

4 times more likely to win an award for writing an
essay or poem

http://www.artsusa.org/public_awareness/facts/

Did You Know?

The arts teach kids to be more tolerant and open.
The arts allow kids to express themselves creatively.
The arts promote individuality, bolster
self-confidence, and improve overall academic
performance.
The arts can help troubled youth, providing an
alternative to delinquent behavior and truancy
while providing an improved attitude towards school.

http://www.artsusa.org/public_awareness/

President Bush's Proclamation for National Arts and
Humanities Month 2001

President George W. Bush
October 25, 2001

I am pleased to join my fellow Americans in observing
National Arts and Humanities Month in October.

The arts and humanities enrich our lives, inspire our
hearts and minds, and help us to view the world from a
different perspective. Capturing the diversity and
richness of human experience, they allow us to explore
ideas and emotions and to better understand our
history, culture, and beliefs. The study and
appreciation of the arts and humanities serve as both
a unifying force in society and as a vehicle for
individual expression.

During these extraordinary times, the arts and
humanities have provided means for coping and healing
in the face of tragedy. Since the September 11
attacks, individuals and groups throughout our country
have joined together to celebrate their patriotism by
proudly singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" and "God
Bless America." Others have expressed their grief by
creating visual or written tributes to those who lost
their lives. People of all ages have documented their
personal experiences, firsthand knowledge,and
impressions of recent events to create a lasting
historical record for future generations.

These varied activities point to the vital importance
of the arts and humanities in maintaining a vibrant
society and a strong democracy. During National Arts
and Humanities Month, I encourage all Americans to
reflect on the contributions of these creative and
intellectual traditions to our quality of life, and to
participate in activities that celebrate the spirit of
our Nation and our love for freedom, justice, and
peace.

Best wishes on this special occasion.
George W. Bush

http://www.artsusa.org/public_awareness/pac_article.asp?id=698