Re: Teaching Art History-High School Level

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 13:32:20 PST

> "@home" wrote:
>
> 1. Do you teach this class strictly as an art history class or do you
> incorportate art history into your specialty classes?

It's a separate class; I bill it as a class for students who don't want
to get their hands dirty (although, see below). For next year I'm
hoping to offer it as an honors class, which has the full support of the
honors committee.

> 3. If you teach it solely as an art history class, can you give me
> some idea what a typical day's activity would include?

I teach a lot of notetaking and study skills (this is on a reservation
with a majority of LEP students). They get a handout outlining the
chapter, and we work for part of the period reading small sections of
the book and filling in notes on the outline. Then we'll look at and
discuss slides, then do a writing assignment or short hands-on project.

> 4. Also, do you incorporate hands-on activities/projects that go
> along with what period you're covering?

Yes, but not to replicate the art of the period. In order to
demonstrate their understanding of, say, Egyptian or Greek conventions,
they use the style and format to tell their own life stories.

Maggie

---