Re: Curious about the state of other States?

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 09:58:21 PST

I just discovered that Nev. or at least our county is considering calling
vocational/ag classes a part of the humanities for the 1 credit humanities
requirement!! What is really happening is that proficiency tests are now
in place which test math and English, and 1/3 of the kids are not passing
on the first go. Next year Social Studies and Science tests will start.
The district has added another year of math requirement to try to get more
math skills into kids--soon the problems will compound with the other
tests. Since they keep upping the required classes, the electives will
have to lose students, hence the programs will suffer and teachers will be
displaced. This seems like an inevitable chain of events as long as the
country is on the more testing=better schools reform platform.Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #
# Elko, NV 89801 #