re:words

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 08:58:50 PST

You know, kids are going to use these words no matter
what you say. Adults use them too, you know. I
actually had a teacher in her 40s or early 50s tell me
that the mural I am working on looks "sexy". There is
nothing sexy about it, that's just the word she uses
as a compliment. It doesn't bother me when students
use words like "tight" or "hot" to describe something
that looks good. If a student tells me that something
looks gay or ghetto or retarded, it bothers me because
I know that those words are inappropriate, but I also
know what the kids are trying to say. All I can do is
suggest another term and hope that the kids use more
appropriate descriptions the next time. I don't think
it is worth it to make a big deal about it. About the
word "sucks", my students use it, I use it, my friends
use it, even my parents use it. When I told my
principal that I didn't have a planning period during
lunch, he said "I'm sorry, that really sucks. We'll
make sure that doesn't happen next semester". It's
just a word that someone said somewhere down the road,
and it stuck. It's better than saying something is
shitty.
Kids make up words all the time, and if we worried
about what they meant, it could mean tracing the word
back to one kid to figure it out. My friends in high
school used to say "camichickuh"- it meant cigarrette.
Can you guess what "doobachickuh" meant? I just can't
stand it when students say "Fudge" and "Sugar" when
they make a mistake. Where's the creativity there?

Sticks and stones....................

Jayna