Re: Curious about the state of other States?

---------

From: griswold (griswald_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 08:16:55 PST

In northern California, in our small rural district, we have taking big cuts and they will be impacting the arts...we just lost a music position which we shared with the high school, and the remaining music teacher will lose one of his periods with us.
Our long time art teacher is retiring and unless they let a couple of us pick up her two remaining electives, that will be the end of a strong art curriculum. It is a very sad situation, but we are being driven by lack of money, and the pressure to perform on the state mandated tests.
I was just in a meeting on Friday where we were basically told that if the Social Study Standards were those included on the test that the 9th graders take, we were not to waste time teaching them...among some of the standards cut out were those on the early abolitionist, and suffrage movements, as well as advances in art, music and literature. I was outraged...what a way to teach history, what a shame.
However, we are an underperforming school, in our third year, and face all sorts of sanctions if our scores don't improve to a certain point this year...sad, sad sad.
Charlotte
Charlotte
griswald@telis.org
rexfree_99@yahoo.com