Re: Miami or Bust!!

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 08:07:36 PST

You have two types at the NAEA convention--the pin traders and the name tag purists. The pin traders very ingeniously craft some symbol of their state to swap with other pin traders. I am from Kansas--have done sunflowers, shamrocks last year for St. Patrick's Day in New York, this year--tornados. The states each have a bunch of one design made up to trade at delegates assembly. Kansas often has a black design on brass. Missouri often has a take-off on an art reproduction with MO as part of the Title--the MOna Lisa comes to mind. It's fun and for me makes it easy to recall who at the convention I have crossed paths with. I tend to be a little shy and the pins are a good ice breaker.

But then there are the name tag purists who "wouldn't be caught dead with all that junk hiding their name"!

I guess like the olympics, pin trading is big stuff at most conventions.

Marcia, Derby, KS