Re: Curious about the state of other States?

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 08:06:06 PST

In a message dated 03/17/2002 7:53:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
whest177@wheatstate.com writes:

> Just curious though...what the climate, temperment...social conditions are
> for art teachers throughout the country with all that's going on? Budget
> shortfalls, cuts... How many are concerned about possible lay-off's,
> etc.,???

Colleges and our own graduation requirements are eating into our dept.
Sophomores have no room for art as they must take health-drivers Ed,
languages (3 years needed for State Universities), science and the other core
classes. We are left with the students who are not on track for college or
just working on the minimum credits.

We currently have 5 full time teachers but if the sign ups are slow then we
could loose 1. It saddens me to see that I won't be having many students
that will be able to take art 4 as well as A.P. studio portfolios. This was
the last year for a big art 4, I have 22 students, 45 Art 3's and 60 art 2's
as well as 145 art 1's. If the colleges ever stop asking for the "F"
requirement we could down even more. We do have a graduation requirement of
at least 10 units of fine arts but that is only one class.

Ken Schwab

---