Curious about the state of other States?

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 07:16:44 PST

Since September 11th...Wisconsin government and regional news has spoke of hardly anything else except budget shortfalls, cut backs...local governments picking up slack, etc., Quite a few school districts have been laying off teaching staff, ten here...12 there, etc;

Looking ahead and contemplating with simple reason, I would guess education is going to be going through some major overhauling. The University of Wisconsin systems are only allowing 25 to 30 students at the most enter education at their individual campuses each year. When the boomer retirement hits big in several years...there is going to be a major shortfall of available staff. Perhaps that will be quite the open market...though some are predicting that technology might step forward with more virtual/interactive learning made necessary.

This is my tenuring year, and as contracts and notices go...I'm back again next year. My wife and I patiently waited to begin the process of looking for a house of our own until after this year. However, living in a small rural logging community in NE Wisconsin...I'm now beginning to wonder if its smart to buy a house. On one hand with less to lose, (not owning a house), I might be making myself more a target to be let go simply whereas other teachers indebt with a mortgage might get more consideration/empathy. Then, of course...there's still the likelihood that because we teach a nonacademic
that has no supposed legitimacy with state and federal testings of students...I could be cut or cut to part time anyway. We have funding for next year, but the superintendent is predicting the year following is up in the air with some cuts likely.

Just curious though...what the climate, temperment...social conditions are for art teachers throughout the country with all that's going on? Budget shortfalls, cuts... How many are concerned about possible lay-off's, etc.,???

Larry

---