Re: THE IMPORTANCE OF THE ARTS

---------

From: dorothy (creativemetals_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 05:18:55 PST

This made the list before, but in our advocacy efforts, of great significance-
WASHINGTON, DC -- After four years of deliberation, in December 2001, the
bipartisan education act NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND passed by an overwhelming
majority in both houses of Congress. The bill, which was signed into law by
President George W. Bush on January 8, 2002, includes the arts in the
definition of "core academic subjects".
Our President and legislators appropriated an unprecedented amount of
funding and recognize that Arts literacy is one vital fundamental piece of
our education puzzle. Some of our locals have some catching up to do....

Also worth reading, delightful journalism by Tamin Ansary, probably found in on this list in the first place: http://encarta.msn.com/column/artsmain.asp

---