bad words continued

---------

From: FRANCIS REDFERN (nredfern_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 04:56:53 PST

;Yes, "gay" does seem to be moving on and losing some of its power. It
will soon be replaced with something else. Another popular slur is
retarded, which I find just as offensive. Each class in which it gets
used has to listen to my explanation/lecture about what retarded means
and the fact that I have a downs syndrome boy in one of my classes who
is a cool kid.
 I also have a student in a class with the last name Gay. You can
imagine what he has had to endure. He seems to handle it quite
well.Whatever the current word seems to be, whether it is used to attack
a person or to describe a work of art, I try to not get lost in the use
of the particular word. I try to focus on the bigger picture of talking
ugly in class and the power it holds. I'm not sure it makes a bit of
difference, but it has to be addressed.

Nora

---