Re: The word "Gay"

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 20:52:41 PST

I agree with you all, but in the long history--it's sort of interesting.
My grandmother used the word gay all the time, meaning light and happy--ie
she was a lovely, gay girl. Then in the 70's the word was latched onto by
homosexuals, apparently only males since the verbage usually is
gay/lesbian this and that. Then the word was a slur against homosexuals,
now it seems to have become a fairly innocent word meaning not good--I
almost said "bad", but then, it too has changed! I have had sweet little
girls come up to me with their projects and ask me if it looks too gay. I
think the word is moving on.

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #