Re: The word "Gay"

---------

From: kimberly herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 09:01:30 PST

I have three ways of approaching inappropriate language. This is for 5th
graders

1. You will speak the Queens English in my classroom. We are in school to
learn and converse about many different subjects and an academic atmosphere
will be observed (That eliminates Jacked, My bad, and other phrases that put
my teeth on edge.)

2. Cuss, you have to write a note home to your parents explaining exactly
what you said. Parents must write a note back to me, acknowledging the note
and telling me their reaction. You also must apologize to the class, and you
stand on the wall all recess.

3. Hate Language - instant history/reading/current events lesson I keep an
eye out for articles about the effects of hate for example hate crimes,
ethic cleansing, Law suits by the Southern Poverty Law Centre, the
Holocaust, and anything I find. I make class copies. If the Hate Language
comes from several kids, then the whole class gets a lesson. If it is one or
two kids, they go to the office, library, or neighboring classroom read the
article and respond to it in writing then have a private discussion with me.
Missed work is made up during recess.

Kimberly Herbert