Re: The word "Gay"

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 07:26:08 PST

Kathleen Shilson wrote:

> Some of my students use the word "gay" - meaning not to cool.. how does
> everyone - teachers- respond to this?

They know what it means, they are trying to con the teacher. Like my students
who say they mean the good kind of pimp. Don't let them fool you. Words have
power, power to hurt. Children should not be allowed to use words like Pimp,
Gay, Fag, Hoe, Nigger, Etc.

I do agree with the teacher who encouraged expanding their vocabulary.
One of my lessons led to several terms for shit. (Dukie, Excrement,
Feces,
Droppings, Manure, Leavings, BM, Etc.)

                                                Woody in KC

--