modge podge and watercolor markers+athelete drawings

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 07:26:51 PST

Thanks to all who posted suggestions for sealing the watercolor marker
drawings. My students had done drawings of atheletes and we wanted a
really colorful background (like LeRoy Neiman's work). Because of the
small areas of the people we just couldn't do any kind of screen
printing. (list suggestion) and because we used watercolor markers the
modge podge would have ran (list suggestion)- I tested it. Also
hairspray which is a good sealer for chalk made the watercolors run.
Rubber cement would have worked but I would have had to do it because of
fumes. Finally found that spraying the people with clear spray paint
worked. Students either watercolor painted the backgrounds or did tissue
paper and glue. (list suggestion) I'll post some of the finished work on
the web site when they are ready. BTW all of the problem solving was
good for my 5th graders to witness- I showed them all the mess ups on my
samples and they couldn't wait to see what I would try next. Thanks for
all your suggestions,
                Jeryl in SC

---