Re: The word "Gay"

---------

From: Wendy Manning (wmanning_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 11:01:11 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kathleen Shilson" <kshilson@unitelc.com>
Subject: The word "Gay"
> Some of my students use the word "gay" - meaning not to cool.. how does
> everyone - teachers- respond to this?

It's no different than a racist remark. The current equivalent here is
"welfare".
I ask them not to use those words in that way in my classroom. They usually
apoligise immediately, because they KNOW it's inppropriate.
If they ask why, I say it's an insulting use of the word, and inappropriate.
If they persist (very rare) I say they are welcome to discuss it with the
principal, although (I say) I doubt he'll disagree with me.
 Wendy

---