Re: budget cuts

---------

kprs_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 04:10:21 PST

 Nnaell@aol.com wrote:
> I tell teachers to NOT be resourceful when they have no
> money....I was > killing myself hauling supplies to my
other school

Although I don't always practice what I preach...I agree
with you wholeheartedly...why? Because "they" will rely on
you to bring the stuff in! Yup, in my experience it has
been the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, and I never
complained about what I didn't have, I always bought stuff.
I do have a generous budget, but in my case we have to
order a year in advance BEFORE kids sign up for courses, so
it is virtually impossible to figure out how many kids are
taking which of the 7 courses...so inevitably I would come
up short somewhere, and have more of something else. Over
the years, I have learned to be more creative with what I
have, and this has been my mantra: "I am not in arts high,
I am in a public school", and I make do. Long story short,
I have seen colleagues in other departments be very verbal,
and end up with more 'goodies', or less preparations, etc,
while I was working hard with 5 different preps, including
an AP class, plus doing yearbook, plus bringing in supplies
I needed. Not any more, and you know what? Kids' don't feel
deprived, and the administration doesn't know the
difference, but my weight and blood pressure sure do! Of
course this lesson was only learned after 25 years of
teaching...ok so I'm a little slow. :-)

San D

---