Re: Inclusion support for art teachers

---------

From: kimberly herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 07:43:00 PST

In our school, it depends on the type of aid a student has. If the aid is
for academics, then often the aid does have other assignments during
specials. If the aid is for a physical condition, we have several students
who use wheel chairs and need physical adaptations, then the aid usually
will accompany the child to music and art, while attending a PE class with a
special ed teacher. If the aid is for behavior, then the aid accompanies the
child everywhere including into the restroom. If the behavior problem crops
up in specials class, they usually move the child to a different rotation
than their class. The second step is an aid. Though that sometimes takes a
couple of days, to reschedule the aids because they are with needy kids
almost all of the time. With one exception, aids are not used to do office
work (run things off for example) while kids are in school. The exception
is the laminating machine, which one aid runs and no one else touches.

Kimberly

---