Re: using airbrush in the classroom

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (HOPKIAAR_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 05:11:35 PST

thanks for the reply...i like the 409 idea..
i was thinking about getting a badger silent compressor (the billion
air deally) and was going to use acrylics or watercolors only (since
this is just elementary kids). i know the older kids will use it more
often (5th grade) and the younger ones only here and there. probably
the airbrush will be used once or twice a week depending on what
assignment the kids are on...so do you think i still need masks to wear
and if only a few are airbrushing do i need masks for just them?
aaron

>>> themuralists@hotmail.com 03/15/02 02:03AM >>>
Yeah, Get an Airbrush that has attachable bottles, not one with an
open
spout. Try to get a compressor that has a long warranty, and that
doesn't
shake too much or make an ubearbly loud noise. Oh, yeah, and be aware
of how
to properly clean the airbursh. You'll need certain chemicals like wd40
or
some other lubricant. I found that 409 works best for cleaning the
little
parts. Avoid Dish soap- it doesn't rinse as easily, and can end up
"bubbling" your paint. I personally recommend paashe. Remember that the
Nib
is sharp, and delicate! If you want your brush to last a long time and
be
easy to clean avoid any paints with glitter. It can clog so easily. Oh

yeah, and the obvious, use only in a well ventilated area. Best if
used in
an open shelter, this way you can keep from changing mucus color(that's
the
best way I could put it) if you use the brush a lot. It's also
recommended
that you use a ventilation mask, the paint does fly through the air and
you
will likely get it on your hands, especially when you start, and even
with a
mask you will breath a little of it in. Unless you have on one those
huge
respirator masks. But don't freak out, in the beggining you will use a
lot
of paint, and as you become more effecient with it, you shouldn't have
worry about inhaling it.

Let me know if you want to hear more.
Eli

leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu