Re: Bad language in art- Help needed

---------

From: Raili Kärkkäinen (raili.karkkainen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 00:51:21 PST

I live in Finland and have seven children of my own and have had lots of
children during my years as a teacher. I think you should not be scared if
a child uses violant feelings and strong words as a way to express himself.
I have found that children have some periods in life when they are solving
bad things, violance and even death. I think one such period in there about
5-years of age and another strong period is located in the beginning of
tee-ages. I think it is not good to press those emotions down with the
authority that an adult has. It is better to discuss them, how one feels
about them and what kind of experiences may cause them. And how we can
manage with them and solve them. I have not found that this kind of
approval would have caused more harmful expression, but just the other way.
This is the way to expolore them and so put them out.