Re: using airbrush in the classroom

---------

From: Stäcy & Paul (themuralists_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 23:03:58 PST

Yeah, Get an Airbrush that has attachable bottles, not one with an open
spout. Try to get a compressor that has a long warranty, and that doesn't
shake too much or make an ubearbly loud noise. Oh, yeah, and be aware of how
to properly clean the airbursh. You'll need certain chemicals like wd40 or
some other lubricant. I found that 409 works best for cleaning the little
parts. Avoid Dish soap- it doesn't rinse as easily, and can end up
"bubbling" your paint. I personally recommend paashe. Remember that the Nib
is sharp, and delicate! If you want your brush to last a long time and be
easy to clean avoid any paints with glitter. It can clog so easily. Oh
yeah, and the obvious, use only in a well ventilated area. Best if used in
an open shelter, this way you can keep from changing mucus color(that's the
best way I could put it) if you use the brush a lot. It's also recommended
that you use a ventilation mask, the paint does fly through the air and you
will likely get it on your hands, especially when you start, and even with a
mask you will breath a little of it in. Unless you have on one those huge
respirator masks. But don't freak out, in the beggining you will use a lot
of paint, and as you become more effecient with it, you shouldn't have to
worry about inhaling it.

Let me know if you want to hear more.
Eli