Re: Bad language in art- Help needed

---------

From: Stäcy & Paul (themuralists_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 22:32:39 PST

Steve,
I gotta say, it sounds as though you asked for it. For children who have
never experienced actual physical danger, the scariest thing to them is the
whip lash of language. They understand the impact of words. I almost want
to say that you have a gem there, because the student has gone one step
beyond the creativity of his peers. He isn't dealing with the imagination
of ghosts and goblins but instead dealt with the reality of a possible
tragedy. That's not an impossible situation that the student has put forth.
Does it make it anymore appropriate for the classroom, no. Language of that
nature should be left at home. But I can't help to wonder why he/she
transgressed from the typical childhood scaryness of one's own
shadow(monster's under the bed, etc.) to a realistic portrayal of outrage by
the language and true violent tragedy. Perhaps I only ask this for myself,
has the child passed completely beyond the imagination of his peers, and if
so, what caused him to grow so quickly as to visualize possible disturbing
images? If I were you, I would defintely be curious about the parents on
that one. Well, let us know what comes about from that.

Take care,
Eli