Re: Bad language in art- Help needed

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 20:42:53 PST

In a message dated 03/14/2002 4:56:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
steve@tfwoodandson.co.uk writes:

> . I spoke to the child about this language
> and suggested that he might like to erase it and write something less
> controversial, but he was adamant that the words should stay and he was
> taking the piece home to show his mum. I could have been more forceful, but
> that's not who I am.

May I suggest two words as a guideline: School Appropriate! My
philosophy,which the kids all know, is that all language, themes, drawings
during their art time must be school appropriate. What they do outside my
classroom is virtually out of my control, but my expectations of their
behavior in my art room include respect- a mutual respect. I try to instill
that in the classroom.

I would have focused on the language issue as a matter of self respect. I
would not have allowed that artwork to leave the room like that. I think
it's important to report this incident to the school phychologist, (or at
least document it) if you have one, and to go on record as believing in the
inappropriateness of the drawing.

Think of it this way, if you let one kid get away with profanity in art,
you'll have to allow them all. The rules should be the same for everybody!
Susan on Long Island

---