Re: Inclusion support for art teachers

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 15:56:06 PST

Hi Jane,
At our school, if it is in the student's IEP for an aide/para, then legally
that aide has to stay with the child.( The word "para" hasn't come mainstream
here yet.) I am elementary. Now after years of suggesting that if the
classroom teacher has an aide, then that aid should come with the class to
art. After all, I am not a miracle worker- As it turns out, it is still up to
the teacher's whim if the aide comes and I haven't pressed the issue-(read
on). All of my 3rd gr teachers send their aide, but the second and 4ths do
not ( except for the spec ed para), I must mention here that the aides that I
have coming this year- two are wonderful helps and one is a nightmare- talks
really loudly, doesn't help unless specifically directed to a student, and
will work on the students projects!.( Put my foot down there) Drives me nuts.

I realize this is my problem on not setting the guidelines from the start, but
then,
this didn't occur to me. Naive. Next year, I will do the aide thing a little
differently from the start. When they are helpful, they're a Godsend, when
they aren't, it is like having to monitor a disruptive student.

ejb35@columbia.edu wrote:

> When I taught middle school I had to ask for paras to stay in the
> classroom, even one-on-one paras. I was not automatically given an

---