Art and ESL Students

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 14:09:27 PST

Dear Louise,
    I am art teacher (k-8) who is currently working with my ESL
department on analyzing murals in our school. The final project
includes a video and/or power point presentation of the murals written
in Spanish and English. The presentation will be on the history and
artistic importance of the murals. The students are also going to be
tour guides for a school wide invitational "Field Trip" of the murals.
 They will also be responsible for the labeling the murals with their
history. We have fourteen in our school, some made by students and some
by professional artist. Kind of like a built in museum with the kids
researching and curating a show
    Ok, this is my "long winded" way of saying I agree with Maggie, art
and ESL are a natural. Art is a visual language that we all share, it
is a common grounds for growing into a new verbal language.
Ellen Silverman

---