problem glazing pre-glazed tiles

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 10:13:18 PST

 The glaze does crawl a bit when applied to the tile, so I decided to use gum arabic as suggested by many here. So I put an even, thin coat of the gum arabic on two tiles and set them in front of a fan to dry. They both felt very dry when I applied a coat of glaze to one of them (Amaco F and LG series glazes). The first coat of glaze reticulated within minutes. The second glaze coat is also reticulating. I went to check on the other tile I put gum arabic on, the one that I haven't glazed yet. The gum arabic is flaking off in sheets! I am puzzled and concerned. These seventh graders are so psyched about this project, but there is something mysterious going wrong with the process here! Help!
Mark
  Judy Decker <jdecker@woh.rr.com> wrote: Did you try glazing without the gum arabic?

Was the coat of gum arabic dry when you applied the glaze? If not - let it
dry completely before applying the glaze. Is it possible the gum arabic was
too thick?

Wish I could help you out more.

Judy