Art and ESL students

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 18:41:50 PST

WeezNJay@aol.com wrote:

> I'm working on my certificate for
> teaching English as a Second Lang and I'm wondering if/how I might
> incorporate the arts into teaching Eng as 2nd Lang. Any thoughts?
> ideas? help? suggestions? directions?
> My goal is to teach to adults.
> Thanks,
> Louise

Louise,

Art is a natural for ESL students. By creating visual and mental images
to go along with all the new vocabulary they're learning, they will
learn and retain it better. Think about any lesson you would teach them
and all the new words they would be learning: colors, line direction,
shapes, orientation on the page; all sorts of common tools (scissors,
pencil, etc.); processes (cut, draw, paint, glue, etc.); following
directions in sequence; composing stories--even simple descriptive
sentences--about their work; discussing a work of art (use a format like
Broudy's Aesthetic Scanning or Feldman's four steps--both start with
describing what is there, which even beginning learners can do).

Creating a bound book to use as a notebook would be fun. Otherwise, I
don't think you'd have to "invent" any lessons just for them, other than
adjusting the vocab and instructions to their level.

Maggie (also ESL certified)

---