Re: cutting a small piece out of the middle

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 18:25:38 PST

Maggie White wrote:

linda eastman wrote:

> <snip> but i still have to
> watch the ones who can't figure out, for example, that the 3' square
of
> copper foil they need does not have to be cut from the center of the
big
> sheet. can anyone explain to me if that is a developmental thing? i
know
> many adults who have the same problem.

My HS students do the same thing with my expensive colored papers, card
stock, self-stick vinyl, leather...GRRR-RRRR! When we're getting ready
to use those kinds of things, I give them all scissors and scrap paper
and tell them this is a test: Cut out a 2" square from this paper. Then
I collect all the "leftovers" and stick 'em to the board with magnets
and point out the wasted pieces and the pieces cut conservatively. Lots
of sheepish looks and giggles, but most get the point. Still, I remind
them when they get their mitts on the good stuff.

If it's "developmental," when, exactly, will they develop some sense?!

Maggie

---