Re: Native American Woodlands project

---------

From: barb cicchelli (bcriverspirit_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 06:17:12 PST

 We had a lot of fun pounding an ash log to make basket material-black ash works best but you could also use white ash-I had about a 6' log,set on the floor-pounded the bark off with small sledge hammers. Cut 2 slits with a utility knife-lengthwise on log about 4" apart and continued pounding with wooden or rubber mallet-the wood starts to lift up on the growth rings and you pull it up a strip at a time. You can then carefully separate the layers so that there is one shiny side and one dull. We made book marks instead of baskets with it-I let 2 pound at once-they loved it. Of course the dreamcatcher was of Woodlands origin too-Ojibwa. Birchbark from fallen birch trees was fun too-drew designs and small pictures. Barb
  "L. Horvath" <dulcius@mindspring.com> wrote: Hello!I'm searching for a good Woodlands culture based art project for jr. high/high school level. Anyone have a good one? Thanks so much!-Lydia de Toledo---