polymer clay fumes - was Re: artsednet digest: March 12, 2002

---------

BibelotsOutpost_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 04:39:48 PST

My understanding is that the fumes become toxic only if the temperature
goes over a certain temp. (over 300?). Otherwise they may be
unpleasant to breathe, but not harmful. I've also read that you can
avoid the buildup of plasticizer in your oven by covering the pan
you bake in with aluminum foil (so that the buildup happens on the
foil and not on your oven walls)
Deborah

In a message dated 03/13/02 9:59:18 Central Standard Time,
rboville@execpc.com writes:

> About the polymer clays..... the fumes are toxic, so whether baking in a
> small toaster oven or a conventional oven, be sure you have very good
> ventilation. I have a friend who is a professional doll maker/artist. She
> uses the polymer clays for her faces but always stresses the toxicity.

---