Elementary Art Show - Success story (long)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 17:36:11 PST

I am bragging about my good friend, Sandy Bacon. She shared her art show
success with a few of us--- I think it sounded so great I just had to brag
about it to the list. I thought some of you new teachers could get some
ideas
from what she did.

Here goes (I have edited her message to me):

Last night was Sandy's art show at her little country school. It was
packed! Her principal, the secretary and teacher's aide had literally
called every family in the school to remind them about the gallery hop!
The principal made her own little ribbons, and wrote on them Harrisburg
Student Gallery Winner and these are the ones that she will purchase -- 4
pictures!

Sandy ended up making a cave for all the cave art (She had some 1st grade
full figure cave kids sitting on rocks) and behind a pyramid (triangle
shape, one side) with the Sphinx drawn on it for Egyptian art work.

Artwork was all over the walls and art screens. The fourth graders had
rolls of toilet paper and wrapped kids like mummies all night! They were
hysterical. The parents were fascinated with King Cluck and Queen
Cluckopatra. One father said to her, "Wow, an art teacher that brings
science into the classroom."

She had a fossil station where the kids could pretend to be archeologists
with real fossils, brushes and magnifying glasses and Sax fossil rubbing
plates for the kids to create crayon rubbings. They loved it! So, if
you have a show, consider having activities that the kids can do -- they
were so well behaved.

The PTA brought mood music and a buffet of fruit, cheese, crackers, tiny
pastries.

Tuesday, she had classes in the gym where they had the show. Kids were
allowed to sit in the cave or pyramid to finish work. They pretended that
Sandy was the docent and were at the real art museum, where they will be
going next week.

If you would like to congratulate Sandy on her success - here is her email
address sbacon@ix.netcom.com

Sorry Sandy -- But I just had to brag about this. Your efforts will inspire
more great art shows. We have a lot of first year art teachers on this
list.

Wonderful Wednesday!

Judy Decker

---