Re: Special Scissors

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 12:34:34 PST

I have seen adaptive scissors make the world of a difference for certain
students. Be careful, though, in trying to make do with cheaper types. For a
student who already has poor coordination, strength, or stamina, having a
scissors that doesn't cut well or folds the paper over instead of cutting
can be extremely frustrating. When I taught at a school with a 40%
disability rate, I had several different types of adaptive scissors on hand.
The "soft touch" series by Fiskars was the type I used myself (I have had
carpal tunnel surgery) - the more natural grip, spring-back action, and a
sharp blade make chores less taxing. For many of the students with more
severe physical disabilities, a table top scissors worked well. One flat
handle could rest on the table while the student pressed the top handle with
whatever body part worked best. For some learning to cut, the hand-over-hand
scissors works well. For others, the OLO rolling scissors was wonderful -
some students simply held onto the scissors while paper was fed towards the
blade, while others could motor the scissors towards and through the paper.
With many of these adaptive scissors, mounting them on a block of wood can
provide the necessary stability needed for certain students.
Sax does carry a few adaptive scissors, but many others can be found in the
Fred Sammons or other therapy-type catalogs.
If anyone has any more questions or would like a photo of some adaptive
scissors (or other adaptive tools), feel free to email me.

--
                   |          Melissa Enderle         |
                 /)|       melissa@afribone.net.ml    |(\