Re: 3D Projects, and a question. . .

---------

From: V Moreira Komando (komandov_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 19:46:38 PST

I too face this dilemma when setting out materials. I
am just finishing a 3D lesson based on Beth Piver and
the work of Mullanium. I cut up my metal sheets to a
certain size and limited the kids on what they could
use size wise by having the kids do 2 sketches for
possible projects - actual size sketches. This helped
quite a bit. I had odds and ends - since recycling was
a part of the project, as was texture, layering, etc.
I also told kids to look for small pieces of jewelry
to recycle or part from toys they'd gotten at
McDonald's, etc. I also supervise those special small
objects and tell them they are limited to so many so
everyone gets to use some of the special materials.

I started to cut the metal sheets even closer to size
when I saw the sketches, which saved a tremendous
amount of the materials. I then had a sick day and the
kids just took what they wanted and cut tiny pieces
out of the center of good sized sheets or just trashed
pieces they weren't going to use. I came back to
digging through the trash can to save materials!

It would be great to have an aide to hand out
materials - but I don't have one to help me. But I
love the projects the kids are doing! I'll try to post
them soon. They are not as refined as Beth Piver's
work or of Mullanium's since our tools consisted of
regular scissors, elmer's glue, and wire - but they
look wonderful to me:)

~^~
Vivian

"". . . then 3-D in wood or found object. They are so
very excited!!!"

Just a question I happened to think of - both for
elem. and MS:

When you do projects using found objects, or provide
extra jewelry,
buttons,
feathers, film canisters, etc., etc., etc., how do
you kind of
"equalize" what
everyone takes? I don't have a huge problem with
this, but sometimes
kind of
limit what I put out, because I know there are kids in
a particular
class who
just grab stuff, or end up wasting it, or cramming
things on with no
thought.
At the same time, there are those kids who would use
these supplies
very
thoughtfully, and creatively - but don't get a chance,
because others
are
grabbier, or, like I said, less gets put out. Know
what I mean?
Sometimes, the
more you put out, even those students who are usually
successful with a
project, get that "eyes are bigger than your stomach"
look, and overdo
what
they might have otherwise done more thoughtfully.

Hopefully, I'm not the only one wondering about this??

Deb"

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~

http://members.cox.net/artzheart