Re: Keep the report an a famous artist out of the classroom?

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 17:25:19 PST

Well, I feel I do not need to respond to this post since so many of
you have written about the value of teaching the whole child. I will
just add that it has been my experience as a student that I gained so
much from teachers who saw a need and filled it by venturing outside
their "box". Learning takes place in a more permanent way when the
material is taught at the time the student has a need.

I would not attempt to teach something that I did not have the skill
or training. I would not attempt to go beyond comparing positive and
negative cut paper designs with chemistry formulas. All I ever
understood in chemistry was that nothing is ever lost in a change in
the formula and the cut paper designs strongly reinforces that.
Beyond that I am useless!

On the other hand I am trained in speech and communication. I studied
under a wonderful gentleman who was 109 years old. He had been an
assistant to Sir Isaac Pitman who developed the International Phonetic
Alphabet. (I learned much more from him than the phonetic alphabet).
I also did graduate work in speech and drama at Midwestern University
in TX. My most enjoyable accomplishment in that area is teaching a
classroom of sweet little Texans to say bright light instead of "brat
lat" for the Christmas play and it only took 4 weeks of practice. :<)

Seriously, I do appreciate the staff where I teach. They also believe
that each teacher is responsible for meeting the needs of the child as
a whole rather than dividing learning into unrelated sections. They
use art concepts to reinforce concepts they want to teach and ask me
for supplemental materials and content. They respect my discipline
and want to be sure that what they are teaching supports what I am
teaching. I do the same with them by checking on appropriate
vocabulary and concepts that they are teaching. It may seem to take
additional time but the atmosphere it creates both with staff and
students pays off in less energy spent in conflicts.

I came to teaching art from the classroom and I see so many
possibilities for arts unique skills to bring support to learning in
the other disciplines. I see the connections going the other way as
well. I also recognize that I have been spoiled by teaching in a
district where my colleagues support my teaching style.