Re: Troubled Student: Thanks for the help.

---------

From: Jane Altshuler (jane_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 17:19:19 PST

I have breast cancer and I'm just finishing up about 7-8 months of
treatment.
At the beginning of the school year my principal told me about a new
student
whose mother had cancer and asked me to touch base with the girl. I
went to her
and explained that I also had cancer and that I understood what she was
going
through and isn't it nice to know we can talk to eachother about this if
we need
to talk and that we have this in common. She looked terribly relieved
when I
talked to her and I felt really good that she had someone to turn to who
really
knew her story. She is in third grade - her mother died about 2 months
ago.

Anyway, the reason I tell you this is that maybe you could find someone
on your
faculty on in this child's life who has been through this or even
another child
with a parent with cancer who he can connect with. My daughter has made
friends
with another girl whose mother has breast cancer.

When I announced to my classes that I had cancer I was surprised how
many kids
had a parent with cancer. I teach in a private school so my classes
just have
14 kids. One class had 4 kids with parent with cancer! It's like an
epidemic.

---