RE: Keep the report an a famous artist out of the classroom?

---------

From: Kathy Tickner (ktickner_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 12:53:38 PST

Isn't the "teaching of art" just another way of teaching the "expertise of
communication?" The artists that are the most respected throughout history,
and today, are those who are not only eloquent in their making of their
craft, but also eloquent in writing and speaking about their intent, their
will, their thoughts, their process and the successes/failures. I teach my
students through the making of art, the writing and reporting out about
art/artists, in front of the classroom, that being an artist is a
multi-layered discipline, and that cross-curricular activities, enhances
their thought process and will make them not only a better artist, being
able to understand themselves, but also a better student, with the ability
to clearly state to others their purposes, their thoughts, in an intelligent
manner.
Kathy Tickner
Byron School District