Re: Keep the report an a famous artist out of the classroom?

---------

Iteachart7_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 11:11:04 PST

In a message dated 3/11/02 10:46:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kshilson@unitelc.com writes:

> What is this? "develop their presentation skills..master presenters"..
> is your area of expertise- communications? or is it the teaching of art?
> should we as art teachers leave this to the classroom teacher?
> Wayne S

Yikes, I hope not. We, as teachers, should keep accountability across the
curriculum. I am constantly correcting papers, homework, essays. Their
grammar is atrocious. So many of them write the same way they speak. I
correct improper speech too. We have group crits, they have to speak. Just
because we teach art and not English doesn't mean we should let it slide and
leave it to the "other" professionals. I am an artist and a teacher. Prior
to getting back into teaching, I had my own business. I hired many HS
students. However, they had to speak and write correctly. It's a tough job
too. When I correct a student I get 'why you always fixing my words?" Don't
jump yet...I do this in private-always. I will not embarrass a student.
Students, no matter what grade will slack off if they are only accountable to
one teacher. Every teacher in our school is accountable for the language
arts.
I'll get off my soapbox now.
Thank you
Peace